Here is a quick tutorial on how to create a custom notification in JIRA. It triggers when new issues are created but only if the issue is a parent, excluding sub-tasks.
You need to have the ScriptRunner for JIRA plugin.
First navigate to “Administration -> System -> Events -> Add New Event”:
- Name: Issue Created (only parents)
- Description: Triggers only for parent issues, not for sub-tasks
- Template: Issue Created
Then navigate to “Administration -> Add-ons -> Script Listeners -> Add New Item -> Fires an event when condition is true”:
- Note: Fire an “Issue Created (only parents)” event
- Project Key: leave empty or enter a project name to limit the scope of this notification only for it
- Events: Issue Created
- Condition: !issue.isSubTask()
- Event: Issue Created (only parents)
Finally, navigate to “Project settings -> Your project -> Notifications” and then “Actions -> Edit”. At the bottom there is the newly created custom event “Issue Created (only parents)”. Add one or more recipients and enjoy.
A quick note when testing the custom event. If you added only yourself as the recipient of the new event, JIRA won’t send you an email when the event fired. JIRA correctly thinks that it doesn’t make sense to notify the creator of the issue, as he or she already knows what they did. Therefore, in order to test this properly, you need to add someone else’s account or group, and then create a new test issue. Or do it vice versa by adding your account and let someone else create a new test issue.